Monday, August 17, 2015

General Intro to LIFE

Hey strange people. I have moved back into college! That means (hopefully) blog posts are back to being more regular and not so randomly placed once upon a random day once per month. Luckily for you. I know I'm definitely your only source of entertainment.

Anyway, I'm at school so early because I got a lovely promotion to Student Manager in the cafeteria. That means I get to yell at people and tell them what to do while generally meandering aimlessly and occasionally devouring desserts while talking with my peers. Or I get to do the important things. I've heard it both ways.

But these past couple of days, there is basically only one group of people here, and those people are the football team. SCARY. They're very large, and they like to eat large portions of meat and potatoes. Which means, when I worked the salad bar, there was literally nothing for me to do, because football players don't eat lettuce. Because goodness knows you might lose some calories while chewing celery and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT, NOW CAN WE?

Slowly, more people are trickling in. I think I saw like four other girls today, instead of none. That's an improvement. And apparently the rest of the sports teams will be moved in by Wednesday, which means there will be more people to feed! Yay, un-boredom!

So far, in the cafeteria, as part of my training, I have learned how to clean the dishwasher, using especially toxic materials. "Especially toxic" apparently means that you have to wear a giant plastic face mask, like what a welder wears, except plastic, and gloves that go up to your armpits before you can even touch the hose with spray. So that's cool. Basically you look like a mutant.

Also, today, I got to go see how to turn on and change the carbon dioxide containers that go to our pop supply. Did you know that when you're drinking industrial pop, the carbonation isn't just part of the pop? In fact, the CO2 is pumped in from very large, heavy, gas tanks. Don't drop them on your foot. I think that's the most important lesson I learned from that session today.

Other than that, there really isn't much happening here. I have no one to talk to, since NO ONE IS HERE. So if you want to call or Skype or text or send me a letter or an email or a note in a bottle (you'll have to use the river, not the ocean, sorry) or carve a message into stone for me, there is a 100% chance that your actions would make my day/hour/minute, depending on the extent of my boredom.

The dorm I'm staying in has no air conditioning, which initially was a problem, because it was like death here, but it's kind of cooled off, which I enjoy. I do not enjoy, however, that there is not a drinking fountain on this floor. It's super annoying and I am super annoyed and do not enjoy it have I made myself clear.

Back to cafeteria stuff: apparently there are parties every night that I'm supposed to go to, so I can socialize with my new peers? But here. Let me provide you with a list of things that I both do not enjoy and that cause me stress: 1. parties 2. socializing with my new peers.

So. I guess that's why I didn't go. Plus, also, too, apparently these parties mostly involve drinking and alcohol, which I am not legally allowed to consume, and also, I don't want to. So there's even less incentive to go. But I kind of feel bad for not going. But also not because I don't want to. My life is so complicated.

Instead I stayed home in my dorm and played video games. That's always the best way to go.

Only like two and a half more weeks til school actually starts! I'll try and keep you updated with more things that I learn while working in the cafeteria. It'll be super dangerous, and I'll probably break something. All the cute people will watch me break that something. It's basically tradition now, so I don't know if I can stop it. It might be bad luck.

1 comment: