Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Everything Is Danger

I haven't written in a long time, as my lovely friend Mia pointed out. Because she's just so on top of me to keep writing things about things! Where would I be without you, Mia? Probably in Antarctica. Although I don't know how I would have gotten there. Anyway.

Truthfully, though, I haven't written because I've been very busy. Busy in the classroom, and also busy wandering around doing dangerous things. The list of things I've done on this trip that you previously probably could not even pay me to do is pretty long. (We were talking about lists, in case you got confused by my ridiculously long run-on sentence. Anyway. I think I'll tell you about all these things.

Firstly, last week's school week was very intriguing. I learned a lot. About many things. I can't really remember many things. Why don't you spend eight hours a day learning things rapid-fire. And then come back and tell me what you know. You won't be able to say one thing, I bet. Because I know. I know everything! Ha! Contradiction. Okay. But the thing that happened that I wouldn't have done was this: There was an emergency that my lovely teacher had to take care of out in the hallway, and she was like, "Ms. Stanley, please lead the class while I deal with this." And so I did. I gave a 20 minute lecture in a Spanish class, and I didn't even die. You know what? I didn't even freak out like I do when I have to give a presentation in a class. I just calmly and collectedly told some kids what "playa" and "iglesia" meant. I'm so proud of myself for not freaking out! Ah ha ha ha ha!

That also happened again this week, except it was about the days of the week. And I was more prepared this time. So even less dying than no dying. Be proud of me, people.

I probably also would not have approached random people to try to help them, but that's what I've been doing mostly in this week and last. "Hello, child. Can I assist you in some way? Tell me your Spanish flavored troubles." And then sometimes they do, and then I help them! And sometimes they're like, "Leave me alone." But whatever. I'm still learning.

Also, unschool related, I climbed over a barbed wire fence to climb a mountain.

And I walked through a scary cemetery after it was closed to the public (nighttime) to find a giant boulder. And then I climbed the boulder. Getting up the rock wasn't actually the scary part, but going down was like death. Except all the people assured me that I probably wouldn't die. And I guess if I had to do things that were dangerous, I was glad to be with a bunch of people who know how to calm people down, and also make sure people survive dangerous rocks. Yeah. We're gonna be teachers.

I also climbed "600 sheer feet" down into a canyon. Admittedly, that was very cool and worthwhile. But it doesn't mean that it wasn't dangerous!

I also did something rebellious with two of my fellow travelers that I can't tell you until after we leave New Mexico, in case one of the others read this blog (unlikely) and I inadvertently break my sacred, unbreakable vow. (We've been having a Harry Potter marathon.)

I've also eaten ice cream every single day since I've been here. Because our professor thinks we like ice cream. Which is true. But occasionally it's a little ridiculous. I'd show you a picture, but I boycott photography, unless you go check my Facebook page, because I post photography on there, so there.

It's hard to believe that we only have like a week and a half left here. It's going so fast. And scary. And dangerous. But you know. It's pretty exciting. I like it here!

PS: We had a two hour late start today at school because of "cold, ice, and mud." So we got to sleep in. And then there was a lock down at the end of school. Because I don't know why. But it was pretty weird. As far as I know, there was no danger. But who knows. Everything is danger.

2 comments:

  1. So much icecream! And danger! DANGER. Also. I appreciate you for posting this. -Friend Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the people just quote me as saying, "Danger! Danger! And also learning! But mostly danger!" all the time now. I appreciate you for reading this! :D

      Delete