Monday, November 10, 2014

How To: Mental Recuperation?

I just want to warn all you strange people out there who may be under the impression that I have emotional stability in all parts of my life and don't feel lonely or sad or disappointed or any negative feelings anywhere that this is actually not true and I'm just going to reveal all my weakness right now. In this "highly public" forum.

This must be the time of college when all the normal people finally feel like they know what they're doing with their life and college and the world and they have friends and people they like and they don't eat every single meal by themselves and they actually do things on the weekends instead of watch all the episodes of television that they didn't get to during the week because homework is a thing. And if you're not normal you feel LIKE DEATH. Because you feel none of the aforementioned things.

And one of the hardest parts is watching all your friends be normal. It's basically like you're left in the dust when it comes to the path of social maturation. And all the people say that the social aspect is the last part of college to happen, UNLESS YOU'RE FREAKING NORMAL. Because normal people don't have social anxiety that prevents them from making friends easily. Like, normal people don't walk super fast to avoid having to awkwardly not know whether or not the person behind you is close enough for it to be reasonable to hold the door open for them. And normal people don't freak out about buying chips at the weird store because they don't want people to judge them for buying chips. And normal people don't eat quickly and terrifiedly in the hopes that no one will come and sit down at the same table in an attempt to seem friendly.

But all your friends don't need you anymore, because they have their new friends, and all the people you should be making friends with already have all their friends, because they're just better at making friends than you. And you feel really lonely and you just want to talk to your old friends, but you're also worried that you're too needy and that they don't really miss you that much (because new friends) and that you're interrupting their life with your need for socializing that you haven't figured out how to satisfy in real life yet.

And you know what? All these things apply to me. Way more than I would like. Because people don't actually like being lonely. No says, "Ooh, yes! Lonely! That's my favorite feeling!" So I don't actually have a solution to this problem. I guess I listen to music a lot. But I don't want to tell my friends that I'm not as socially capable as them, because that's just not cool. But if you have a solution to my problem, (that's not, "Just go join clubs" or "Just go up and talk to people" because neither of those things work/will be happening) please, please let me know. I'd love to seem well adjusted to college and life and the world. That would be just great.

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion: Just go join clubs.
    Just kidding. Just go up and talk to people.
    Just kidding foreal now.
    I'm really good at pretending that loneliness is okay, but it really is no bueno. It's just easier. But apparently life wants you to have friends. Which I guess is a "learning experience" that helps you "branch out" and "be open with the world" and maybe "shine like a superstar" cause it's just whatever. My real suggestion that I'm just going with: Be patient cause being forceful is scary...?

    ReplyDelete