Saturday, November 1, 2014

How To: Avoid Obligation

One of the main things college is supposed to teach students, in my opinion, is time management skills. And what better way to learn these skills than run away from any important thing you're supposed to do ever? You see, when you do fun things, or just not what you're supposed to be doing things, it teaches you how to accomplish things under pressure.

[Side note: I'm definitely listening to a random radio station on Spotify, and the song 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover came on. I am so amused right now. A lot. Sorry. I just had to document that.]

So in reality, avoiding obligation will be the most useful thing you can ever do during your college education.

Firstly, you should always leave your homework to the last possible day. I recommend having something else you really like to do to distract you. For example, you could start a blog. I know this thing is a huge time waster (but not wasting because I'm learning important skills, remember?) for me. Plus, you're technically still writing something, so it feels more productive if you're still in the stage where you feel guilty about not doing things.

Of course, there're always video games and TV shows and Netflix and YouTube and Facebook and all those other electronical things. I think you could do well with a nice book, because that goes along with the eliminating the guilty feelings, because reading often teaches you things. Or, you could go get some physical recreation time, because not only is that important, but then you might feel healthier too, which is always good.

Now, I can read your mind, and I see you asking me how physical activity isn't an obligation. To that, I simply say that running is bad. Running is like death. So I do not feel obligated to death. So there. Feel free to debunk my logic. I dare you. You won't take on my challenge.

Also, you can go out to eat with friends! Yeah! Because it's November, and by now you might have some friends. My friends and I went out to eat at a taco-y place today. I should have been writing a paper, but instead I devoured delicious tacos with people who made me laugh. So, tomorrow then, I have to write my entire paper. And read some horrible things. Gross.

But it's more important to learn these things about pressure and writing papers and not dying and also having friends and a kind of social life than to do stupid homework. Actually, I'm feeling slightly worried about doing that tomorrow. Because I also have to work. Although not worried enough to do it right now. My brain is the biggest procrastinator (meaning best teacher of the working under pressure ever) that I know of.

Thank you brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment