Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Time For A Happy Hiatus!

Hee hee. I remember reading the word "hiatus" in Lord of the Flies in 9th grade and thinking it was a plant. Ha. Okay. Well. Now that that tangent is over....

So, I will be heading back to college tomorrow, but only for a little while. Because after that, I will embark on a trip to Gallup, New Mexico to try my hand at some actual teaching-y things! I might die. I might get eaten by bears. I might get swallowed whole by a whale. I don't quite know what will happen. But I guess college is a place for deciding whether or not you like adventure! And also trying new things. Neither of which I'm very good at. But you know, a little practice never hurt anyone! (Except for that time I sprained my hand at soccer practice.) Anyway.

I'll be heading down at 5:30 am on January 2nd, with six other students and one professor. I wanted to teach either Spanish or English, and while I did get placed in a high school Spanish class, that class also happens to be Algebra I. So. I haven't taken math in three years. But that's probably not important. The math part is probably also the dying part. Although people assure me that it's not as hard as I remember.

I'll have to be taking a break, I think, from the normal format of this blog, as being a how to sort of thing and perhaps just write about my experiences. If I'm not too exhausted from teaching and our weekend excursions. But I'm sure I'll find time to let you in on at least one or two important things that have been happening down there in the desert!

Are there turtles in the desert? Perhaps tortoises? I don't know.... Maybe I should find these things out before I just expect them to exist....

I hope it won't be too cold down there. It apparently gets warmer during the day, but at night, it can be around 10 degrees. Not that that's any different from living in Minnesota/Iowa. I'd still like to enjoy some warmer things, I think.

I'm a little bit sad to be leaving my friends here so early, especially the ones I don't get to see very often, but sooner than I know, May will come around, and there will be a whole summer to enjoy! And I am pretty excited about teaching and New Mexico and adventure.

Hopefully you all have a wonderful New Year and New Year's Eve, and I will see you all IN THE FUTURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment